Telephone FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get long distance service?

Spencer Municipal Utilities does offer long distance service to customers. There are a couple options available within our bundles. One of our bundles features Unlimited Long Distance, while the other offers long distance for as low as $.10 a minute.

How do I get my voicemail messages sent to my email address?

With technology today and the fact that we are always on the go, it is easy to set up your SMU voicemail system to send your messages to your email…which you could get on your smartphone. Setting this up makes it easy to get your messages while you are away from home. Visit the voicemail page of our website for complete details. If you have more questions, feel free to give us a call at 580-5800.

How do I call internationally?

With telephone service from Spencer Municipal Utilities, it is possible to make international long distance calls to help connect you to the world. Visit our international long distance page for complete details.

Can I set up my landline phone to ring on my cell phone?

With technology today and the fact that we are always on the go, you may want to be able to answer your home phone, even when you are away from home. Just let us know you want to sign up for Sim Ring service.

Can I reject telemarketers?

Telemarketer Reject services are available through Spencer Municipal Utilities landline phone service. It is easy to set up and there are options for the type of messages the person on the other end will hear.

Rural Call Completion: Problems with Long Distance or Wireless Calling to Rural Areas

Occasionally we hear from customers who are having problems receiving long distance or wireless calls on their landline telephones when they can receive local calls and make calls just fine. This is known as “rural call completion.” The reason these issues arise is due to some long-distance and wireless carriers contract with third-party “least-cost routing” service providers to connect calls to their destination at the lowest cost possible.

If you have experienced these issues, the person trying to make the calls can report the problem to their long distance or wireless service provider so they can locate the source of the problem and fix it. You can also let SMU know of your issues as well as reporting them to the FCC. The information needed to report the issue includes:

1) Date and time the call(s) were made or attempted

2) The calling and called telephone numbers; and

3) If possible, the caller’s service provider and long distance carrier. To report these issues to the FCC, you can use the online Form 2000B located on their website at

For additional questions, please contact us.