Operations Customer Service Member/Buildings and Grounds
Spencer Municipal Utilities (SMU) is a successful municipally owned utility provider currently seeking a full-time Operations Customer Service Member/Buildings and Grounds. We are seeking a team player with experience serving in a customer-focused operation. SMU has proudly met the electric and water needs of local Spencer, Iowa residents since 1942. Telecommunication service offerings were added for the community in 1997.
This position has responsibility to operate and maintain the control center, provide customer service support for our Electric, Water, and Communications utilities and dispatch crews. The position will also assist with building and grounds maintenance work. This position works 12-hour alternating shifts between the hours of 7pm to 7am which will also include alternating weekend hours.
The following typical tasks and responsibilities are representative of this position. They are descriptive, not limiting.
• Receive incoming calls for customer and/or contractor assistance
• Coordinate/dispatch personnel and equipment
• Operate & maintain control center (communications, electric & water) including procedures during utility outages and emergency situations
• Provides technical and administrative support to all utility departments
• Assists with performing a variety of skilled and semiskilled work in the maintenance and repair of utilities buildings and grounds
• Uses and operates a variety of hand/power tools & mechanical equipment utilized in building trades
• Conducts inspections and assesses conditions which require maintenance and repair and recommends revisions, improvements, and updates
• Performs work involved in the cleaning and care of all buildings and facilities
• Prepares correspondence, reports, statistical data, policies, and manuals related to the utility’s required programs
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Must be 18 years of age and have a High School Diploma or GED.
• One (1) to two (2) years of building and grounds maintenance work preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Customer Service experience is highly desirable
• Required to possess and maintain a valid Iowa driver’s license and meet SMU insurability requirements
To apply candidates must complete an SMU application. Applications can be found on our website at www.smunet.net (click on careers in the ‘About’ tab) or applicants may complete an online application utilizing SMU’s computer by appointment located in our lobby during regular business hours at 520 2nd Avenue East, Suite 1, Spencer, IA. Please keep in mind that submission of a resume in lieu of work history on your application or answering the supplemental questions is not sufficient.
SMU is an equal opportunity employer, offers a comprehensive wage and benefit package that includes health/dental/vision/long term disability/group life insurance, IPERS, 457(b) retirement plan, clothing allowance along with paid time off for vacations and holidays. Pre-employment background check and post-offer drug screening is required. Applications accepted through 2/29/2024. This recruitment will be open until filled.