Update as of April 6, 2020:
We continue to monitor the potential impacts of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the services we provide to the community. The safety and well-being of our employees and the community is important to us. Because we provide critical infrastructure services to the community of Spencer we have taken several measures to segregate our employees. As a reminder of the community’s request to take action, we encourage you to do your part to protect our community: stay home, practice social distancing when necessary trips are made and also make sure your kids are doing the same things.
We have a few updates to our normal business practices until further notice. These are in addition to the changes made on March 17th.
- If you are moving to a new address in Spencer during this time, please contact us before you move so we can get all of the utilities set up ahead of time. If we need to enter the new address, we need to do it when it is empty (before you have moved in). If we need to go into the home, we’ll have some health-related questions to ask and may need to reschedule the appointment to a later date if there is illness.
- If you’ve got a project planned that involves digging, we are continuing with locates during this time as Iowa One Call remains fully operational so call or click to schedule locates.
- We are continuing to update the Community Calendar on Channel 2 during this time to help keep customers informed. If your non-profit organization as information to include, please use the electronic form found on our website.
- Our staff is continuing to maintain infrastructure during this time so you may see our staff in your neighborhood. Please remember to keep at least 6 feet away from them for proper social distancing during this time. We have segregated our employees into smaller crews to provide additional protection for their personal and their family’s health while allowing us to maintain our critical infrastructure and respond to emergencies.
- If you have questions on how to pay your bill without coming into our customer service center, give us a call and we can walk you through the process that is best for you by phone at 712-580-5800.
- If unable to pay a bill during this time, please contact us before the due date to set up a payment arrangement or budget billing.
- We are temporarily suspending disconnection of services and waiving deposits during this time.
Again, we value our customers and are available if any needs arise. Feel free to give us a call at 712-580-5800 if you need to reach us as we are doing our part in helping limit the spread of COVID-19.
March 17, 2020
The safety and well-being of our employees and the community is of importance to us as we provide critical infrastructure services to the community of Spencer. We are monitoring the potential impacts of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the services we provide to the community.
We are always prepared for emergencies and restoring critical services as quickly and safely as possible, however that could be impacted by a limited number of staff due to COVID-19. In monitoring and following guidelines outlined by the State of Iowa and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in an effort to ensure our employees and their families are healthy and safe we are making the following changes to our normal business practices until further notice.
- As of March 17, 2020, our customer service center will be closed for walk-in customers. Customers can reach us by phone at 712-580-5800 or electronically. If customers need to make a payment, we have several options available including: the U.S. Postal Service mail, the drop box located in our parking lot, online through our website, or by phone.
- We will respond to electric outages, water main breaks and widespread communication outages. Customers should call us in the event of a utility emergency at 712-580-5800.
- We are no longer scheduling communication technician appointments and in the event of troubles, we will do what we can to restore service remotely. Commercial and residential appointments may need to be rescheduled at a later date due to the threat of the virus.
- We are temporarily suspending disconnection of services.
- For the last several weeks we have increased our cleaning and disinfecting throughout the office and this will continue in the weeks ahead.
- We have placed a pause on employee travel.
- We have cancelled all employee events and have begun to separate departments to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
We do not take these steps lightly. We value our customers and are available if any needs arise. Feel free to give us a call at 712-580-5800 if you need to reach us as we are doing our part in helping limit the spread of COVID-19. Spencer Municipal Utilities will continue to monitor the situation as updates become available, but for now we feel this is the best plan for our organization.